A Statement from officials:
His Excellency the Governor, Nigel Dakin, chaired the 25th meeting of the Cabinet on Wednesday 8 July by video conference.
All members were present.
At this meeting, Cabinet:
- Were updated on Covid-19 cases to date, actions taken and agreed the following additional risk mitigations on Providenciales only with effect from 9th July 2020, in response to these:
(1) Night curfew to be extended until 5am on 20 July and, with effect from 9 July, curfew hours to change to 8pm until 5am;
(2) Businesses under Phase 3 (hotels, dine in restaurants, bars, casinos, discotheques, gyms, spas and fitness centers) to remain closed until 20 July;
(3) Places of worship to be limited to ten (10) people only until 20 July;
(4) Funeral services to be limited to ten (10) people only until 20 July;
(5) Social gatherings of any description to be limited to members of the same household only and to be limited to ten (10) people until 20 July;
(6) Weddings to be limited to ten (10) people only until 20 July;
(7) Sporting events/activities and contact sports are not permitted until 20 July;
(8) Outdoor camps limited to ten (10) people only and indoor camps to be approved by the Chief Medical Officer in advance;
(9) Domestic travel from Providenciales to any other islands is not permitted save for essential travel only (such as for purposes of banking and doctor visits) until 20 July;
(10) Beach gatherings and boat trips limited to members of the same household, with a maximum of four adults, until 20 July; and
(11) Persons over the age of 65 and in high risk categories are recommended to shelter in place.
- Agreed effective 22nd July 2020 for visitors and returning residents (with the exception of children aged ten (10) or under) to have evidence of a negative Covid-19 test taken within five (5) days of arrival in TCI instead of 72 hours. From 22nd July 2020, visitors and any person who is not covered under the National Health Insurance Plan must also have Covid-19 specific travel insurance that covers in country medical treatment, the cost of quarantine, and repatriation/medivac (if necessary).
- Agreed an extension to 30th September 2020 for submitting the 2019-20 TCIG’s Annual Public Accounts to the National Audit Office in lieu of disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Noted the Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) Assessment of the Turks and Caicos for 2006-2019 and agreed for it to be presented to the House of Assembly.
- Noted the government’s financial performance for the period April 2020 and approved the outline approach to mitigate the revenue risk.
- Noted the government’s financial performance for the period May 2020 and approved the outline approach to mitigate the revenue risk.
- Approved the reallocation of funds from existing Port Authority projects and agreed to the Port Authority using the required land to address a shortfall for the construction of Port, Port Office/ Welcome Centre, Restaurant and Retail Shops on parcel 50303/1, Bellefield Landing, North Caicos.
- Approved Planning Application NC 1168 for the construction of a building containing a Ports Authority office, Welcome Centre, Post Office, Restaurant and Retail Shops on parcel 50303/1, Bellefield Landing, North Caicos.
- Agreed amendments to the Coronavirus Business Assistance Grant Policy to include (i) an appeals process for declined applications; (ii) an extended deadline for applications; (iii) a revised list of supporting documents allowed and (iv) the use of NIB assessments as proof of NIB contributions subject to a review of the legal mechanisms to give effect to the policy.
- Approved the appointment of Mr. Floyd Ingham as the Interim CEO of the Turks and Caicos Islands Airport Authority with effect from 1st July 2020 until a new CEO has filled the post.
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.